Using Worksheet #2, follow the instructions below to begin the process of understanding the Practice Standards. The activity can be completed individually, in pairs, or in small groups.
- Read through each of the Standards for Mathematical Practice, highlighting or underlining sections you identify as key points in each of the standards.
- Fill out Worksheet #2, describing the gist of each standard.
- Choose one Practice Standard to learn about in more depth.
- Read your chosen standard carefully and then discuss it with a partner or small group. a. Focus on gaining an understanding of the main points of the standard.
- Write a summary of the standard in your own words, drawing on your discussion, worksheet, and the highlighted or underlined sections you identified earlier.
- If you are in a setting where people are working on writing summaries of different Practice Standards, take turns sharing your interpretations of the Practice Standards with the whole group.
- Provide feedback to one another and make changes to your summary as needed, until you are confident you understand the main points of your standard, including how it is distinct from the other Practice Standards.