There are three essential steps to successfully using the ASV:
- First, you or your team will need to collect information about your state, district, school, or classroom assessments and assessment system. For help conducting this inventory, see CSAI's organizing template. You can collect information about all or some of the variables suggested. The more data you collect, the more data you can visualize, and the more questions you can probe and answer.
- Second, you will need to create an account on the ASV site.
- Third, log in and fill out a simple form to enter the data about each of your assessments.
Once your data are in, you can:
- Select variables in easy-to-use menus to create graphs of 1, 2, 3, or 4 variables at a time to illustrate commonalities and differences among assessment characteristics within an assessment system.
- Apply filters to graph specific subsets of the assessments in your whole assessment system.
- Review sample questions provided to help you analyze and discover strengths, weaknesses, or patterns in your assessment system.
- Share specific visualizations of your data with others, so that you can collaborate, without requiring everyone to create an account.
- Add new assessments or edit existing entries to add more data that you can then graph, at any time.
Scope of the ASV
- The ASV can help answer questions about the characteristics of individual assessments and assessment systems.
- It does this by allowing for the grouping of assessments by different variables to provide information on how assessments are distributed (e.g., the number of assessments administered in each grade, in each subject/content area, etc.).
How to Get Help
- For detailed instructions on how to use the tool, go to the Assessment System Visualizer User Guide.
- For additional guidance on creating meaningful data visualizations, see
- For support using the ASV, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a Suggestion?
- We want to hear from you!
- If you have ideas for additional fields or features, or think a change should be made to improve the ASV, please contact us and let us know by emailing email@example.com.