State Formative Assessment Resources
- The Arkansas Professional Learning Community (PLC) at Work Pilot Program page contains talking points and frequently asked questions about the PLC's focus on increasing student achievement, in part, through using formative assessment.
- The Colorado Assessment Literacy Program webpage provides links to resources that help support Colorado's assessment program.
- Formative Assessment: Understanding the Connection Between Preschool Learning Environments, Formative Assessment, and Individual Education Programs (IEPs) in Preschool is an online learning module aimed at helping early childhood educators and families understand how formative assessment can be used to help meet the needs of all children in preschool classrooms.
- Progress Monitoring Language Development through Formative Assessments is a presentation aimed at helping teachers understand how to evaluate students' language development and adjust instruction accordingly.
- Stories of Promising Practice: Assessment Literacy in Centennial Middle School is an article that highlights one school's focus on prioritizing formative assessment in their classrooms.
- The Standards-Based Teaching/learning Cycle, a guide that reviews practices for standards-based education, includes formative assessment as a way to inform instruction and help students meet grade-level expectations.
- The Enhanced Learning Maps website highlights the relationship between formative assessment and learning maps and explains how teachers can use learning maps to help meet their students' needs.
- Formative Assessment Tools includes links to learning maps and lessons for ELA, history, and math lessons in grades 2-8.
- Roadmaps for Formative Assessment is a presentation focused on the relationship between learning maps and formative assessment.
- Using the Formative Assessment Rubrics and Observation Protocols to Support Professional Reflection on Practice, a paper prepared for the Council of Chief State School Officers, provides observation protocols and assessment rubric templates to support ongoing professional learning.
- The Leap 360 webpage highlights Louisiana's comprehensive assessment system, which includes a focus on formative assessment. PowerPoint presentations on kindergarten through grade 2 formative tasks can be found here: K-2 ELA Formative Tasks.
- A Teacher's Guide to LEAP 360 provides an overview and guidance to the state's program which includes formative assessment.
- The Formative Assessment Process page provides documents, forms, and reports for the state's Formative Assessment for Michigan Educators (FAME) initiative.
- The Find a Model Curriculum Unit website provides K-12 units and corresponding formative assessments for ELA, math, social studies, and other subjects.
- Great Teaching to Guarantee Great Learning: Collaboration, Data-Driven Instruction, & Planning Your Year is a planning guide intended to bring grade-level teachers together to look at student data and collaboratively plan lessons based on their students' needs.
- PARCC: K-2 Formative Tasks is a PowerPoint presentation that explains PARCC's kindergarten through grade 2 formative tasks.
- The Assessment Program Overview booklet gives an overview of Oklahoma's assessment program.
- The Assessment System and Assessment Requirements Final Report addresses the requirements presented in House Bill 3218, reviews the state's assessment system, and provides recommendations for the future.
- The Diagnostic Mathematics Probes webpage provides math probes, which can give teachers immediate information about student thinking, for grades 3-8, Algebra I, and Algebra II.
- Introduction to Formative Assessments, located under Research and Practice Collaboratory Resources, provides a PowerPoint presentation and facilitator's guide focused on using formative assessment to support science instruction and learning.
- There are dozens of state-licensed, open resources under the Formative Assessment tab.
- The Formative Assessment PLC Modules include resources designed to be implemented in a well-established PLC with an experienced facilitator. The modules focus on the different components of formative assessment and language learning progressions.
- Designing Assessments for Formative Use is a brief PowerPoint presentation that shows an example of learning goals and success criteria using NGSS.
- Select Content from 2015-16 Formative Assessment Insights Course provides links to content from the course, which was provided in partnership between WestEd, Oregon, and six other states.
- Social and Emotional Learning Resources focus on social and emotional learning activities that complement formative assessment practices.
- This Superintendent's Memo (#213-17) describes how the Virginia Department of Education supports the state's Formative Assessment Online Professional Development program. Interested school teams fill in the participation form linked on the webpage.
- The Assessment Literacy Glossary is a multi-page list of assessment terms and definitions.
- Formative Assessment in the English Language Arts Classroom is a PowerPoint presentation that reviews what formative assessment is and how it can be used to inform teaching and learning in English Language Arts.
- Formative Classroom Assessment: Purpose, Creation, and Decision Making is a PowerPoint presentation that provides examples of how to use formative assessment in the classroom.
- Tricks of the Trade: Embedding Meaningful Assessment into the Components of Balanced Literacy is a PowerPoint presentation with examples of how to use formative assessment in reading instruction.
- Under the Using Formative Assessment to Drive Instructional Decisions tab, there are professional development resources to support teachers in incorporating formative assessment into their math instruction.
- From the Appalachia Regional Comprehensive Center has created videos on its YouTube page highlighting the initial results of the Virginia formative assessment professional development.
Information on Comprehensive Standards-Based Assessment Systems
Comprehensive Standards-Based Assessment Systems Supporting Learning
This brief lays out a general framework for a comprehensive, learning-based assessment system and incorporates different, but closely coordinated, types of assessment to serve the distinct information needs of different stakeholders.
CSAI Webinar: Developing a Coherent Assessment System
In this webinar, the role of a coherent assessment system in providing immediate data on how students are doing and critical information that can be used to support student achievement of college- and career-ready standards is discussed.
Collections and Spotlights
Curriculum and Instruction Resources
This Collection, drawn from leading theory and research about learning and formative assessment, can assist teachers and those who support teachers to plan teaching and learning of College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS) for all students.
Formative Assessment Collection
This Collection provides resources that can be used to support professional learning about formative assessment and implementation of formative assessment at the state, district, and classroom levels.
Formative Assessment for Native American Language Instruction: A Series of Professional Learning Modules
In heritage language classrooms, it is important that instructors know where each student is on their language learning pathway and target language experiences that are matched to their levels. This Spotlight consists of learning modules provide teachers with formative assessment tools to do this work.
Formative Assessment In Action
This Spotlight provides resources about the formative assessment process, including one-page excerpts highlighting key ideas in formative assessment, classroom videos that showcase formative assessment in action, and opportunities to deepen learning about formative assessment.
Setting the Stage for Formative Assessment Webinar
This Spotlight provides a series of webinars designed to support high quality formative assessment at the state, district, school, and classroom levels.
From the Resource Library
Attributes of Effective Formative Assessment
From the resource: "This document presents the definition of formative assessment and identifies and explains the five attributes of effective formative assessment."
Coherence: Key to Next Generation Assessment Success
This Assessment and Accountability Comprehensive Center (AACC) policy brief explains the significance of a coherent multi-assessment system and describes key considerations in developing such a system.
Distinguishing Formative Assessment from Other Educational Assessment Labels
From the publisher: "In this document, the FAST SCASS (Formative Assessment for Students and Teachers - State Collaborative on Assessment and Student Standards) aims to clarify the meaning and uses of the types of assessment most frequently used in education."
Formative Assessment: Examples of Practice
To help educators better understand formative assessment, this paper provides examples and counter-examples of formative assessment in elementary, middle, and high school classrooms.