CSAI Resources Developed to Support States' Peer Review Submissions
These CSAI-developed reports and guidance documents can support states as they think about and prepare for peer review submissions.
Assessment Peer Review: Critical Elements Analysis Chart
This CSAI-developed resource was constructed by analyzing the information contained in the decision letters issued by ED on each state’s assessment system. The Critical Elements (CE) Analysis chart, available as an Excel file download, allows users to compare feedback received in
assessment peer review decision letters across states and/or CEs for which additional documentation was requested.
Peer Review Assistance
This CSAI-developed resource contains an overview of the peer review process, including each of the critical elements included in the peer review process. For each critical element, this document contains information on how CSAI can support states in documenting how each critical element can be addressed and met, as well as listed resources that could be used to support the documentation process.
State Use of ACT–Peer Review Results
This CSAI-developed brief discusses peer review feedback to states that use the ACT for accountability purposes. At the time of writing, Wisconsin and Wyoming was proposing to use the ACT as the high school statewide assessment. To do so, states need approval from the U.S. Department of Education to ensure that peer review requirements are met. This brief presents the peer review feedback provided to Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Peer Review of State Assessment Systems Outcomes Report
The CSAI-developed report provides a review of the decision letters sent to states regarding peer review of state assessment systems. In this report, 37 letters from the U.S. Department of Education were reviewed. These letters provide feedback on each of the critical elements, with identification of the elements that states need to submit additional evidence for. This report contains valuable information for states looking for further insight into the acceptable evidence for the peer review process.
U.S. Department of Education Resources for Peer Review of State Assessment System
These U.S. Department of Education communications and resources can support understanding of peer review requirements and processes.
U.S. Department of Education Guidance
- State’s Guide to the U.S. Department of Education’s Assessment Peer Review Process (September 2018)
- Academic Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template (October 2018)
- ELP Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template (October 2018)
- Peer Review of State Assessment Systems: Non-Regulatory Guidance for States
- ESSA State Plan Peer Review Criteria
- Academic Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template
- ELP Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template
- State English Language Proficiency (ELP) Assessment Peer Review Webinar recording, powerpoint slides, and Q&A summary
U.S. Department of Education Peer Letters
- Memo to States Regarding an Update on the Assessment Peer Review Process for 2018-2019
- Letter to State Assessment Directors Regarding Assessment Peer Review Information
- Letter to Chief State School Officers Regarding Assessment Peer Review Outcomes
- Decision Letters on State Final Assessment Systems Under Title I of ESEA as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act
- Decision Letters on State Final Assessment Systems Under Title I of ESEA as amended by
the ImprovingAmerica's Schools Act of 1994
U.S. Department of Education
Trainings and Webinars
- Assessment Peer Review Seminar - Materials, Notes, & Session Videos (August 2018)
- Consolidated State Plan Peer Review Process Webinar
- Peer Reviewer Training Presentation: McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program
- Peer Reviewer Training Presentation: Title I, Part A and Title III, Part A