CSAI Resources Developed to Support States' Peer Review Submissions
The CSAI-developed reports and guidance documents found below can support states as they think about and prepare for peer review submissions.
Assessment Peer Review: Critical Elements Analysis Chart
This CSAI-developed resource was constructed by analyzing the information contained in the decision letters issued by ED on each state’s assessment system. The Critical Elements (CE) Analysis chart, available as an Excel file download, allows users to compare feedback received in assessment peer review decision letters across states and/or CEs for which additional documentation was requested.
Peer Review and State Assessment Administration: A Resource for State Assessment Directors
State education agency staff may have questions about the peer review process and how their state's assessment practices correlate with its requirements. This resource is designed to provide insight into peer review requirements and how states might demonstrate that their assessment practices meet these requirements. Included are links to resources and state examples that may serve as references for understanding how to implement and document assessment practices that meet peer review requirements.
Guidance for Supporting Assessment Peer Review Submissions
To support technical assistance providers and state education agency staff in developing state peer review submissions, CSAI developed this document to describe and support the submission development process. This document includes suggestions for collecting, analyzing, and cataloguing documents that might address the Critical Elements states must meet. Also included is a description of the process states must follow when submitting their peer review submission.
To accompany this document, CSAI developed the Peer Review Evidence Organizer that states might use to catalogue documentation for the submission and how each addresses a Critical Element. This tool might be used to organize documents and develop text for the state peer review submission.
Peer Review Assistance
This CSAI-developed resource contains an overview of the peer review process, including each of the critical elements included in the peer review process. For each critical element, this document contains information on how CSAI can support states in documenting how each critical element can be addressed and met, as well as listed resources that could be used to support the documentation process.
State Use of ACT–Peer Review Results
CSAI developed briefs to provide an overview of the feedback USED provided to states that administer the ACT as part of their statewide assessment system. To administer ACT in this way, states need approval from the U.S. Department of Education to ensure that peer review requirements are met.
This April 2017 version was written to summarize the feedback given to Wisconsin and Wyoming, two states who provided early indication of ACT use.
This September 2019 version was written to summarize the feedback given to the seven states who planned to administer the ACT as part of their statewide assessment system.
Peer Review of State Assessment Systems Outcomes Report
CSAI reviewed the decision letters sent to states regarding peer review of state assessment systems. Based on this review, CSAI developed reports to summarize the kind of feedback states were given, including identification of the Critical Elements that states need to submit additional evidence for.
This July 2017 report provides a summary of the 37 state decision letters available at this time.
This September 2019 report provides a summary of the decision letters sent to all 50 states.
U.S. Department of Education Resources for Peer Review of State Assessment System
The U.S. Department of Education communications and resources found below can support understanding of peer review requirements and processes.
U.S. Department of Education Guidance
- State’s Guide to the U.S. Department of Education’s Assessment Peer Review Process (September 2018)
- Academic Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template (October 2018)
- ELP Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template (October 2018)
- Peer Review of State Assessment Systems: Non-Regulatory Guidance for States
- ESSA State Plan Peer Review Criteria
- Academic Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template
- ELP Assessment Peer Review Cover Sheet and Index Submission Template
- State English Language Proficiency (ELP) Assessment Peer Review Webinar recording, powerpoint slides, and Q&A summary
U.S. Department of Education Peer Letters
- Memo to States Regarding an Update on the Assessment Peer Review Process for 2018-2019
- Letter to State Assessment Directors Regarding Assessment Peer Review Information
- Letter to Chief State School Officers Regarding Assessment Peer Review Outcomes
- Decision Letters on State Final Assessment Systems Under Title I of ESEA as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act
- Decision Letters on State Final Assessment Systems Under Title I of ESEA as amended by
the ImprovingAmerica's Schools Act of 1994
U.S. Department of Education
Trainings and Webinars
- State English Language Proficiency (ELP) Assessment Peer Review Webinar (January 2019)
- Assessment Peer Review Seminar - Materials, Notes, & Session Videos (August 2018)
- Consolidated State Plan Peer Review Process Webinar
- Peer Reviewer Training Presentation: McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program
- Peer Reviewer Training Presentation: Title I, Part A and Title III, Part A